We have created this FAQ list to help you quickly navigate this website. Enjoy.
Our products are hard, but we’re not! Our website is designed to assist and educate.
Scroll down the page for the answers to the following questions.
- Why consider Colour for Concrete for your project?
- Do you sell your manufactured products direct to the public?
- What range of paving do you manufacture and stock?
- What is the average cost of supplying and building a patio?
- Can I get a patio supplied and built for under €1,000?
- Have you examples of work and products that I can inspect?
- How do your prices compare?
- Do you have a design/consultancy service?
- Imported paving versus Irish manufactured paving – advantages/disadvantages.
- Do you have an easy payment plan? Finance options?
- What types of building stone do you stock?
- What types of edging/kerbing do you stock?
- What types of decking do you stock?
- What types of walling/fencing do you stock?
- Can you organise delivery?
- What are the differences and merits of both natural stone paving and manufactured paving?
- Can I upgrade my old patio?
- Can you assist me with my own self-build project?
- Do you have an environmental and social conscience?
- Please look at our terms and conditions just to avoid any misunderstandings and issues in connection with product lifespan, etc.
Please see answers below:
1. Why consider Colour for Concrete for your project? – Our philosophy over the last 35 years in business has always been based on seeking positive results. Supported by a dedicated, friendly and experienced staff who can offer their knowledge in assisting you in arriving at an appropriate solution for most garden and outdoor landscape construction projects.
2. Do you sell your manufactured products direct to the public? – Yes we do, however, due to seasonal fluctuations and demands on our contracts and sub-contracts divisions, our stock levels can vary and ordering in advance is advisable.
3. What range of paving do you manufacture and stock? – We manufacture and stock an extensive range of paving which includes a variety of finished textures and colour hues. We have concrete paving, natural stone paving, brick paviours and speciality items, including decorative borders. Our recommendation to you is to visit our display gardens where you can inspect all our product ranges in-situ and also avail of the advice and guidance of our experienced sales team. “See our full product list”.
4. What is the average cost of supplying and building a patio? – This is not a very easy question to answer. It’s a bit like determining how much your living room is going to cost to decorate based on the price of the flooring material you choose to use. If it’s just a basic patio with no accessories, such as steps or walls, etc., then you are looking at an average price of €70 per square yard supplied and fitted. The average price range of patios supplied and installed by our contractors is between €2,000 to €6,000. These could include accessory features like raised flower beds, rotunda inserts, steps, decorative borders, barbecue areas, retaining walls, etc. See our “What can I get for my money” tab on our blog. (Click on the tab to see full listing).
5. Can I get a patio supplied and built for under €1,000? – Yes, however, expectations with regard to size of area need to be taken into account. From our experience, less than €1,000 are usually feature areas such as small rotunda, Sloane square or small feature deck area. Even though this level of investment is small, it can add a nice feature to a garden. A budget of €1,000 is unlikely to include any additional features like, steps, edging, stonework, walls, barbecues, etc.
6. Have you examples of work and products that I can inspect? – We strongly recommend you visit our display gardens where you can see at first hand how many of our products and design ideas are displayed. With over 35 years of constructing patios and creating landscaped gardens we have a portfolio of many satisfied clients. However, we do not encourage private viewing of our clients gardens. Many of our clients have given us permission to use images of completed works and these can be viewed on our blog “Portfolio of projects” (Click on the tab to see the full listing). You can also look at our “website”.
7. How do your prices compare? – Our prices are based on the quality of products and service we provide. Discounting or selling cheap (see reference to cheap paving slabs article) has never been part of our company policy. To give good products and service a fair monetary value has to be placed on same. See our article on our Blog page “Checklist for consideration before buying concrete products”
8. Do you have a design/consultancy service? – Our experienced sales team offer a wealth of knowledge on the appropriate use of the various products and their applications in garden design. Our team of specialised contractors and technical design consultants can inspect and offer practical ideas and solutions to most situations. We offer this service free of charge to our customers. In certain situations, depending on the scale of the project, we suggest engaging our recommended professional garden designers who offer a full horticultural and scaled design plan service at an affordable price. See “Barnstore Design Studio”.
9. Imported paving versus Irish manufactured paving – advantages / disadvantages. –
- Our paving is made in Cork, from Irish sourced materials, creating employment here in Ireland.
- Our paving has better consistency in size and thickness therefore, less time is involved in it’s laying thus, installation expense is reduced.
- All paving sold creates sales employment whereas, sales of our paving creates Irish manufacturing employment as well.
- Every 70 sq yards of our paving sold, ensures 8 hours of in-house manufacturing employment.
- Established over 35 years we provide continuity of product and service with an in-depth knowledge of our product range, in what it can do and what it can’t. See our Technical Advice page in the Services section of our website
- Our paving has lower carbon miles. See our “Carbon Footprint” (this link will be inserted shortly) info sheet on our website.
- Our product can be used in any style of garden or landscape project.
- Our market research returns more than 90% customer satisfaction on the use of our products over many years. See our “Customer Testimonials” on our website
10. Do you have an easy payment plan? – Strictly speaking we do not offer credit terms as we operate on a payment with purchase transaction.
For customers embarking on self-build projects
The advantages gained for customers when they do business with Ballygarvan Stonecraft is that they can avail of having all their products/construction materials collected or delivered from the one source. Total costs can be clearly ascertained and tailored to suit individual budgets.
For customers requiring the services of Colour for Concrete’s design/installation service
Have total peace of mind in engaging the services of Colour for Concrete’s contract’s team. Be secure in the knowledge that you are contracting a company with over 35 years experience in this field.
Secure payment terms
With an initial 10% (non-refundable) booking deposit. 50% payment on delivery of materials and commencement of work. Balance of 40% on satisfactory completion of all works. These payment terms provide the customer with peace of mind and financial security.
Hi Season/Low Season price structures apply. Enquire at our sales office 021 488 205.
Please refer to our article on “cheap paving slabs” Please refer to our article “Checklist for consideration before purchasing concrete products”
11. What types of building stone do you stock?
Natural quarried stone – We source and stock various styles and colours of building stone sourced from different stone quarries around Ireland. A visit to our sales yard is advisable to view as stocks are not always readily available due to seasonal demands and fluctuations.
Manufactured Reeshig dry stone walling – Introducing our new range of hand crafted dry stone walling recreated in finest detail for maximum authenticity. Reeshig walling is a simple, easy to build dry stone walling system for the professional or DIY enthusiast. Hand crafted from selected stone and designed to create the most natural and realistic DIY dry stone walling. Choose from a selection of ten different patterns and specially selected natural colours including half blocks, double and single ends. Reeshig dry stone walling is almost indistinguishable from the real thing.
“So easy to build with
See our website “photo gallery” for given applications
12. What types of edging/kerbing do you stock? – We stock and manufacture a diverse range of standard and decorative edgings. For more detail see our “products page” on our website.
13. What types of decking do you stock? – Definitely, definitely no timber decking. Why not? – Experience has taught us timber decking is not suitable to our Irish climate as many people have leaned to their cost over the past number of years. We do have a solution for those that would like to have that timber deck look to their patios. We manufacture a long lasting, durable concrete timber look alternative. This product is exclusive to Colour for Concrete. Visit our display gardens to see at first hand. (See our “Projects gallery” on our website.
14. What types of walling/fencing do you stock? – When it comes to walling/fencing we have a large selection to choose from. See products listed below or see our “Projects gallery” on our website, or visit our display centre.
- Reeshig walling
- Bothar na Carraige vertical effect walling
- Natural stone walling
- Rockface post and panel – Coloured and non coloured
- Shiplap concrete timber effect coloured post and panel
- Deck coloured post and panel
- Rustic sleeper look post and panel
- Plain smooth post and panel
- Balustrade top post and panel
- Double sided stone effect post and panel
- Concrete post and selection of timber panels
- Standard 1.5m, 2m and 2.5m concrete fence posts
- Standard 1 rail, 2 rail and 3 rail concrete paddock fencing
15. Can you organise delivery? – Yes we can. Delivery charges start at €70 per delivery within 15 kilometres of our yard for a pay load of up to 6 tonne. Part loads can be accommodated at lower rates, if we have a delivery in the same locality with spare available space. Please see our “Terms and condition” with regard to deliveries, i.e. loading, off-loading, etc.
16. What are the differences and merits of both natural stone paving and manufactured paving? – Manufactured paving – is created through the process of combining natural stone and sand aggregates in combination with cement, super plasticisers and sealers, either compacted or vibrated in moulded forms that can replicate the appearance of quarried flagstones. Manufactured paving and stone products carry many advantages.
- Uniformity of size and thickness
- Reproducible and repairable
- Easier availability
- No air or shipping miles
- Local manufacturing job creation
- Ease of handling
- Variety of colour/Vibrant colour hues
- Softer foot friendly edges and surfaces (safer for younger children)
Natural stone paving – Most of the natural stone paving that is presently sold in Ireland is sourced from either India or China. The natural stone paving from within Ireland comes primarily from Co Clare as in black/grey Liscannor paving. Kilkenny limestone, Donegal quartz, Achill quartz, Carberry – unfortunately, the high cost associated through the extraction of these products can often times be cost prohibitive.
Advantages of Natural stone paving
- Natural as geologically created
- Very durable – natural stone pavements have been under man’s feet going back into antiquity
- Can sometimes have natural visible fossil features with
- Choice of clean cut edges or fettled quarried edges
- Variety of colour/Vibrant colour hues
- Each individual paving stone has its own unique characteristics
Disadvantages of Concrete and Natural Stone paving
The main disadvantages both concrete and natural stone exhibit is their ability to handle Irish weathering conditions, especially in relation to our damp climate, which causes both these products to discolour and mould and algae blackening, especially in the winter time. See our valeting article on “Sealing patios”. We highly recommend using annual or bi-annual cleaning, valeting and sealing. This will help maintain that fresh and appealing look to your paving. Also note that when cleaning patios, especially with the concrete paving that you do not use an over powerful pressure washer as this can inhibit the concrete’s resistance to wearing and can lead to surface damage.
17. Can I upgrade my old patio? – Yes you can. With our over 35 years in the patio business, we have continuously come across situations where old patios, or improperly installed patios were in need of upgrading. To solve this problem we offer a patio valeting and upgrading service which can incorporate our newly developed Colour for Concrete staining system, exclusively developed by Colour for Concrete. Every project requires a different solution as the exhibiting characteristics will vary. For further information we recommend you read our article “Benefits of repair and valeting”. We recommend an onsite evaluation by one of our experts who will be able to advise on possible options that will lead to the most appropriate solution for you.
18. Can you assist me with my own self-build project? – Yes we can. We offer a comprehensive self-build and assist service. This begins with friendly and helpful advice from our experienced sales staff. We believe in our tag line “inspiring ideas, solutions that work”. For more information on our professional assist service please see our website for “full details and prices”.
19. Does your company have an environmental and social conscience? – Yes it does. Historically, Colour for Concrete began its life within the old family farmyard of its founder, Sean O’Halloran. Although some people’s perception of concrete can be quite negative (see “History of Concrete” and “About concrete“), we at Ballygarvan Stonecraft like to think that concrete, and in particular, pre-cast concrete, has its place in the modern world that we live in. Even though we have modernised our production facilities over the years, we continue to benefit from the human input in our manufacturing processes. The joy and satisfaction obtained from interesting work, we believe to be uplifting to the human spirit. Down through the years our company has been an outlet for healthy, manual summertime work for students and many of those young people have gone on to greater successes in their careers. On the environmental front, because our business began on the family farm at Ballinreeshig, we have not forgotten our roots. Since the early 1990’s, Ballinreeshig Nature Farm has benefited from financial support from the success of Colour for Concrete. This working relationship has resulted in the planting of over 20,000 native trees, the enhancement of native flora and fauna, preservation of natural habitats and a safe abode for birds and wildlife, as well as native cattle breeds, horses and goats. Also, because of the biodiversity of plant life on the farm, it has become a source for healing herbs and fruits, with regular education workshops and guided nature walks.